• What steps do I need to take in order to be compliant when using a lift truck in the workplace?
    • 1) All operators and supervisors of each truck type must have ‘adequate training’.
    • 2) Pre-Use checks must be carried out at least once a week (ideally daily). You can download our guide here: pre-use checks (pdf)
    • 3) Each lift truck is required by law to have a 'Thorough Examination' under LOLER & PUWER. This must be done every 12 months. If a forklift is used to lift a person, using an appropriate safety cage, then this inspection must be done every 6 months. Visit The Fork Lift Truck Association for more information.
  • What is the minimum age at which people can operate lift trucks?

    Lift truck operators should be over the minimum school leaving age (16 years old), except in ports where they must be at least 18 years old.

  • I have never had any formal training to drive a lift truck. What are the legal requirements?

    Your employer has a general duty under section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to provide information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure the health and safety of their employees. Under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 employers are required to ‘ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken’. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 also place duties on employers to provide training. By not providing you with any training at all, your employer could be breaking the law. Rider-operated lift trucks includes the requirements for basic lift-truck training.

  • What is a forklift licence anyway?

    There is no such thing as a licence to operate a fork lift! Many people refer to their certificate of basic training as a "licence" but this is not the case. The certificate that is issued to successful candidates after a training course is properly known as a "Certificate of Training" and is usually accepted as proof that the holder has attended an accredited training course and passed the fork lift test. Many people think it is like a car licence but this is not the case and never has been.

  • Does a licence for a counterbalanced truck allow me to drive a reach truck?

    A difficult question which requires a little common sense to answer. If the new truck is only a little bigger than the one on which a person was trained and providing the control layout is not too different then the answer is normally yes. If in doubt it is advisable to arrange for a short course of conversion or familiarisation training to take place.

  • Can I take my licence to another company to get a job?

    The certificate of basic training is recognised as proof that a person has attended an approved course. For this reason most prospective employers will accept it as long as it is not too old. It should be noted that they don't have to however.

  • Do we offer onsite or offsite training?

    We offer both, and try our best to accommodate your requirements.

  • What happens if we don’t pass?

    All of our training comes with a guaranteed pass. If we feel it is not suitable for you, then you will receive a full refund.

  • Counterbalance Training
    Counterbalance Training
  • Reach Truck Training
    Reach Truck Training
  • Telescopic Training
    Telehandler Training
  • Bendi Training
    Bendi / Flexi Training